A deadly blast targeting a passenger train near Quetta killed at least 20 people and injured dozens, escalating fears over worsening militancy and railway security in Balochistan.
WEBDESK – MediaBites News
At least 20 people were killed and 25 others injured after a powerful explosion targeted a passenger train in Pakistan’s southwestern city of Quetta on Sunday morning, officials said, in one of the deadliest recent attacks in Balochistan.
The blast struck near the Chaman Pathak railway track area as the train was heading toward Quetta Railway Station from Quetta Cantonment.
According to preliminary reports, multiple train coaches caught fire after the explosion, while at least two carriages derailed due to the intensity of the blast.
Emergency rescue teams, firefighters and security personnel rushed to the site as thick smoke engulfed the surrounding area.
Police officials said several nearby buildings and vehicles were also damaged.
A senior government official confirmed that at least 20 people had died, though authorities warned the death toll could rise because several injured passengers remain in critical condition.
Among the wounded were reportedly civilians, railway staff and security personnel.
Superintendent of Police Qadir Qumbrani said the injured were shifted to Civil Hospital Quetta, where emergency measures were declared.
The banned separatist militant group Baloch Liberation Army (BLA) later claimed responsibility for the attack.
In a statement, the group said its “Majid Brigade” carried out a suicide attack targeting what it described as a train carrying military personnel and their families.
The attack has once again highlighted worsening security concerns in Balochistan, where separatist insurgent groups have intensified attacks against security forces, infrastructure and transport networks.
The BLA previously made headlines after storming the Jaffar Express in August 2025 and taking hundreds of passengers hostage during a major military rescue operation.
Pakistani authorities accuse separatist groups of receiving foreign support and attempting to destabilize the mineral-rich province, allegations repeatedly denied by neighboring countries.
Security has been tightened across Quetta following the attack, while investigators continue examining the blast site to determine the exact nature of the explosion and possible security lapses.
The latest violence is expected to intensify debate over railway security, militancy and the deteriorating law-and-order situation in Balochistan ahead of upcoming political and security discussions nationwide.

