A tragic incident unfolded in Massachusetts last Friday when a 14-year-old boy lost his life, leaving his family in grief and raising concerns about the viral ‘One Chip Challenge.’
This challenge, which has gained popularity on social media, involves consuming an incredibly spicy Paqui chip and enduring the intense heat without any relief.
The young boy, Harris Wolobah, reportedly fell ill after trying the fiery chip at school. Although he initially appeared to recover when his mother, Lois Wolobah, picked him up, his condition took a turn for the worse just before basketball tryouts, when he passed out at home. Rushed to a local hospital, Harris was tragically pronounced dead.
The precise cause of his death remains unconfirmed, pending the results of an autopsy. In response to this heartbreaking incident, Worcester Public Schools is offering emotional support to both students and staff members.
Worcester Schools Superintendent Rachel Monarrez expressed her condolences and recognized the loss of a promising student at Doherty Memorial High School, describing Harris as a “rising star.”
The ‘One Chip Challenge’ is promoted by the chip’s manufacturer, Paqui, which is known for its spicy creations. The chip itself is infused with the searing heat of Carolina Reaper Pepper and Naga Viper Pepper, described as a “truly twisted experience” on the company’s website.
Paqui advises that only adults should attempt the challenge and strongly cautions against it for individuals sensitive to spicy food or those with allergies. The company also highlights potential medical effects and encourages participants to seek immediate medical attention if they experience “difficulty breathing, fainting, or extended nausea.” Additionally, Paqui stresses the importance of thorough hand hygiene after handling the chip to prevent contact with sensitive areas like the eyes.
A spokesperson for Paqui emphasized their commitment to safety and transparent product labeling. They aim to ensure that consumers fully understand the nature of the challenge before attempting it, emphasizing the importance of responsible consumption in light of this tragic incident.