In a tragic incident, a 21-year-old man has lost his life in Karachi, the largest city in the country, due to a rare infection caused by Naegleria fowleri. The young man, identified as Salman Ahmed, had been suffering from a high fever and his condition worsened over the weeks, ultimately leading to his demise. Reports indicate that he passed away at a hospital in Clifton on Friday.
Salman Ahmed had initially visited a private hospital with symptoms of a high fever and headache last month. Despite being put on a ventilator for several days, his condition deteriorated, and he could not survive.
The Director of Health Services Karachi disclosed that Salman Ahmed, a resident of DHA Karachi, had possibly contracted the brain-eating amoeba after bathing in a swimming pool.
In a related development, another patient is currently undergoing treatment for a life-threatening infection at a private hospital. This individual, a resident of Jamshoro, is receiving treatment at PNS Shifa Hospital.
This recent death brings the total number of Naegleria-related fatalities to six, with five of them occurring within Karachi. Some patients reported swimming before falling ill, while others were affected by contaminated tap water.
In light of the Naegleria scare in the country, medical experts are urging people to take preventive measures to avoid this deadly infection.