The 60-day US-Iran memorandum of understanding has expired without a broader settlement, leaving the Strait of Hormuz, Iran’s nuclear program, and regional security in deepening uncertainty as both sides harden their positions.
By Imran Malik | World Affairs & Energy Desk | MediaBites.com.pk
The clock has run out. And the world is no closer to a resolution.
The 60-day deadline attached to the memorandum of understanding signed on June 17 by US President Donald Trump and Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian has expired without producing a concrete broader settlement, deepening uncertainty over the future of the US-Iran conflict, Iran’s nuclear program, and the security of the Strait of Hormuz.
The framework, brokered primarily by Pakistan with support from neighboring countries after more than three months of fighting that severely disrupted regional trade, was intended to halt hostilities, reopen the Strait of Hormuz, ease some financial restrictions on Iran, and create a pathway to a final agreement within 60 days.
It unraveled far sooner than that.
How the Framework Collapsed
Disputes over the Strait of Hormuz emerged almost immediately after the June 17 signing. Renewed military strikes followed at the end of June. Trump declared the memorandum “over” on July 8, effectively ending the original framework before the 60-day window could even begin to produce results.
Iranian officials have since signaled that Tehran is not prepared to return immediately to negotiations on US terms.
Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said Saturday that no decision had been made on whether Iran would resume talks with Washington. He also rejected Trump’s recent threat to declare the Strait of Hormuz US territory, saying the strategic waterway “cannot be seized with a tweet.”
Iran Claims Victory
Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, who served as Tehran’s chief negotiator, made the boldest claim of the post-deadline period on Sunday.
“This was the biggest and most absolute failure,” Ghalibaf said at a media event in Iran’s parliament. “I declare with all my heart that we won this war.”
The Trump administration had outlined demands including complete Iranian surrender, regime change, prevention of Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon, and an end to Tehran’s support for regional proxy groups including Hezbollah. Ghalibaf did not specify which of these objectives he believed Washington and Israel had failed to accomplish.
Iran’s claim of victory is certain to be contested. The military campaign has inflicted significant damage on Iranian infrastructure. Iran’s economy faces inflation estimated at 77% annually. And the Strait of Hormuz, while partially operational, remains far from the free and unrestricted commercial waterway it was before February.
Where Things Stand Now
Trump has continued to emphasize economic pressure. “We are just watching Iran with its huge inflation and the fact that they have no money,” he said earlier this month.
But Tehran has shown little indication that economic pressure alone will force it back to negotiations on Washington’s terms.
The expiration of the 60-day framework leaves the two sides without an agreed roadmap on Iran’s nuclear activities, sanctions, regional armed groups, and Hormuz control. The Houthis continue attacks on regional shipping. Lebanon recently experienced its deadliest day of Israeli airstrikes since the June ceasefire.
For Pakistan, which brokered the original June 17 framework with considerable diplomatic investment, the deadline’s expiry without a lasting settlement represents a significant setback for Islamabad’s carefully cultivated mediating role.
The next phase depends entirely on whether Washington and Tehran can move beyond maximalist demands and reopen negotiations. For now, the deadline has passed. The disputes have not.

