Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are moving back to the United Kingdom this month with their children, Archie and Lilibet, ending their California chapter, as King Charles reportedly welcomed the decision warmly.
By Imran Malik | World Affairs & Culture Desk | MediaBites.com.pk | SharjahNews.ae
There is an Urdu saying that captures this moment with elegant precision. Laut kay Budhu Ghar ko Aaye. The prodigal returns. And Pakistan’s millions of royal watchers, who have followed every twist of the Sussex saga with the enthusiasm they reserve for their best dramas, will appreciate the irony embedded in every detail of this announcement.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, are moving back to the United Kingdom this month. Their children, Archie, seven, and Lilibet, five, will start at a British school in September. The couple’s California chapter, four years of Netflix deals, podcast agreements, memoir revelations, Oprah interviews, and lifestyle shows that did not quite deliver the superstar status they were chasing, is coming to a close.
King Charles was informed of the move on Sunday. He reportedly welcomed it.
The California Dream — What It Delivered and What It Did Not
When Harry and Meghan departed royal life in 2020 and settled into their 16-bedroom Montecito home near Santa Barbara, purchased for a reported $14.7 million, the ambition was clear. Independence from the royal institution. Creative freedom in Hollywood. The opportunity to build a brand and a legacy on their own terms in the world’s entertainment capital.
The results were mixed at best.
Harry’s memoir Spare was a genuine bestseller, a book that named names, settled scores, and kept the global media occupied for months. But their Spotify podcast deal did not get renewed. Meghan’s Netflix lifestyle show was not commissioned for a third season.
“I think they didn’t achieve the superstar status they wanted,” said Dominic Patten, executive editor of Hollywood publication Deadline. “If you look at how quickly Hollywood careers can burn out, on that level, by that metric, they’ve been successful.” He was being generous.
Why Now — The King’s Health and a Father’s Longing
The timing of the return is not entirely surprising to those who have been watching the Sussex-Royal relationship carefully.
Buckingham Palace revealed in February 2024 that King Charles was undergoing cancer treatment. He continues to receive treatment, though he has said early diagnosis and effective intervention have allowed it to be scaled back.
In July, Harry’s family met with King Charles in what was widely described as a significant thawing of relations between father and son. It was the first time in four years that Archie and Lilibet had visited the UK. The Palace described the meeting as a “private family occasion.”
Royal commentator Juliet Rieden put the emotional core of the story simply: “For the King, one completely understands it is only natural that he wants to spend more time with his son and grandchildren. He is getting older. He wants a family to be reunited.”
A father’s illness and a grandfather’s wish to know his grandchildren. Ultimately, that may be the story that brought them home more than any Netflix cancellation or podcast deal that ended.
The Security Question — The Hot Potato Returns
Harry previously vowed never to return to the UK after losing his royal security privileges. He took the British Home Office to court in an attempt to reinstate family security coverage and ultimately lost.
The Sussexes are currently not eligible for VIP security detail. Whether that arrangement changes upon their return is the question the British public, whose taxes fund royal security, will be asking loudly. Rieden described it as a “hot potato” that neither the Sussexes nor the Palace has addressed publicly.
Their non-royal private residence outside London and the school where Archie and Lilibet will study are being kept private.
The Uphill Battle for British Hearts
Harry remains relatively popular in British public polling. Meghan does not. Rieden acknowledged that winning over the British public would be “an uphill battle” for the Duchess.
The couple has not been in the UK together since 2022, when they attended the funeral of Queen Elizabeth II. That is four years of distance, multiple rounds of royal criticism, an Oprah interview in which an unnamed family member was alleged to have asked about Archie’s skin color, and a memoir that left Prince William “barely on speaking terms” with his younger brother.
Rebuilding from that starting point, in a British media environment that has never been particularly warm to Meghan, will require patience, time, and probably a great deal more discretion than the Sussex operation has previously demonstrated.
The Verdict
California gave Harry and Meghan freedom. It gave them creative independence. It gave them proximity to Hollywood power. It gave them the space to tell their own story on their own terms.
What it ultimately did not give them, or at least not in the quantities they had hoped for, was the superstar commercial success and the settled family life they were seeking.
And so, as the Urdu wisdom suggests, Laut kay Budhu Ghar ko Aaye.
Home, it turns out, was always going to be England.

