Bondi Beach terror attack leaves 15 dead and dozens injured as police probe father-and-son gunmen, world leaders react, and Australia faces renewed scrutiny over antisemitism, gun laws, and public safety.
WEBDESK l Imran Malik l MediaBites l December 15, 2025
Australia is reeling after a mass shooting at Sydney’s iconic Bondi Beach during a Hanukkah event left at least 15 people dead, including a child, and dozens injured, in what authorities have declared a terrorist attack motivated by antisemitism.
The shooting unfolded around 6:45 p.m. Sunday during “Chanukah by the Sea,” a public religious gathering near Bondi Park. Video footage showed two gunmen opening fire from a bridge into a crowd that included families and children, triggering panic as witnesses reported up to 20 shots.
Police say they know ‘very little’ about Bondi Beach father-and-son gunmen
NSW Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon said investigators currently know “very little” about the attackers’ broader motivations as a massive and complex counterterrorism investigation continues.
Police have identified the gunmen as father and son.
Sajid Akram, 50, was shot dead during an exchange of gunfire with police.
Naveed Akram, 24, remains in hospital under police guard in critical but stable condition and is likely to face criminal charges, authorities said.
Homes in Bonnyrigg and Campsie linked to the pair have been raided. Police confirmed Sajid Akram held a firearms licence since 2015 for recreational hunting and was licensed to possess six long-arm weapons, all of which have now been seized. Authorities have ruled out the existence of a third gunman.
Deaths and injuries: What we know so far
NSW Health Minister Ryan Park confirmed the death toll rose overnight from 12 to 15, with victims aged between 10 and 87.
Around 38–42 people were injured, including four children.
Two police officers, a constable and a probationary constable, were shot and remain in serious but stable condition after surgery.
More than 100 ambulance personnel and specialist units were deployed during the emergency response.
One of the confirmed victims is Rabbi Eli Schlanger, who led the Chabad mission in Bondi for 18 years. The youngest victim, 10-year-old Matilda, later died in hospital after severe blood loss, her family said.
Victims of the Bondi terror attack: a community in mourning
Authorities have not formally released the full list of victims, but officials say most were civilians attending a religious celebration, many with their families. Memorials have sprung up near Bondi Pavilion, where Prime Minister Anthony Albanese laid flowers and announced flags would fly at half-mast nationwide.
“Yesterday was a dark day in our nation’s history,” Albanese said, describing the attack as “pure evil.” He pledged Australia would not submit to hatred or division.
Netanyahu says Australia failed to protect Jews despite warnings
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu sharply criticized the Australian government, saying it had “failed to stop the spread of antisemitism” despite repeated warnings. Israel confirmed that one Israeli citizen was killed and another injured in the attack.
U.S. President Donald Trump called the shooting “terrible” and “purely antisemitic,” while King Charles condemned what he described as a “dreadful antisemitic terrorist attack,” praising the actions of police and civilians who intervened.
Security response and possible gun law changes
More than 320 police officers have been deployed across Sydney to reassure the Jewish community, with additional patrols expected. NSW Premier Chris Minns said the government is reviewing firearms legislation, signaling potential reforms in response to the attack.
“This type of atrocity cannot be tolerated,” Minns said, adding that crisis cabinet meetings are ongoing.
As Australia mourns, investigators continue to piece together how a licensed gun owner was able to carry out one of the deadliest antisemitic attacks in the country’s history, reigniting urgent debates over extremism, gun laws and community safety.

