- Nationwide, the country recorded 34 new infections all of them from overseas
- Latest death toll is also down to single figures, at just eight new fatalities
The National Health Commission said it was also the first time Hubei province – where the disease first emerged – recorded no new cases either domestically or from abroad. Nationwide, there were 34 new infections, all of them from overseas.
The number of new deaths was down to single digits, with just eight reported, bringing the total death toll to 3,245. The commission said 23 new suspected cases had been reported, with the total number of infections now standing at 80,928. A total of 70,420 patients have recovered.
The commission has been releasing daily infection figures in Hubei since January 10, and nationwide data since January 20.
But critics have questioned the accuracy of the Chinese data, which has caused confusion in the past because of the often-changing diagnostic criteria.
Medical professionals in both China and abroad have also questioned whether Beijing covered up the epidemic – especially in its initial stage – after the first case in China was traced back to November, while Chinese doctors only realized they were dealing with a new disease in late December.