KTN & Daily Kawish’s reporter found dead in irrigation canal in Noshero Froze, Sindh

0
944

Police in Pakistan’s southern province of Sindh have found the dead body of a local journalist in an irrigation waterway. Aziz Memon’s body was found in Naushero Feroz district on February 16, officials say.

The initial investigation suggests that Memon was strangled to death before his body was thrown into the canal. The journalist was working for the Sindhi-language Kawish Television Network (KTN) and the Kawish newspaper.

Months ago, Memon released a video message saying he was receiving threats for his coverage of a news story. A police official told Dawn that according to the deceased’s wife, he had left for Behlani.

The 56-year-old journalist often received threats of dire consequences during his 30-year-long career.

Last year, he had received one such threat allegedly from an MNA. After that episode, Mr Memon had left his hometown and moved to Islamabad for some time.

Meanwhile, journalists of Naushahro Feroze, Moro, Kandiaro, Mehrabpur, Padidan, Darya Khan Marri and other towns of Naushahro Feroze district held demonstrations to protest against his murder and demanded immediate arrest of his killers.

The Association of Electronic Media Editors and News Directors condemned the murder.

Azhar Abbas, president, and Ammad Yousuf, secretary general of the association, said the media community was shocked at this blatant act of violence and also over the continued attacks and killing of media personnel in the line of duty aimed at silencing the voice of ­dissent.

According to media reports, Sindh Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah has taken notice of the incident and directed the police authorities to ensure immediate arrest of the ­killers.

In October 2019, the New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists reported 16 unsolved killings of journalists in Pakistan over the previous decade.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here